Mail app for Windows 8.1 gets better organization, Calendar and People apps receive improvementsWritten by Ron on February 26, 2014 - 06:02PM @ronwinbeta
Update: Thanks Microsoft for not publishing an updated change log, as usual. See below for a change log that details the previous update. No word on exactly what is new in this update. Try it out and let us know in the comments below!
Microsoft has rolled out a new update to the Mail, Calendar, and People apps for Windows 8.1. For those of you who prefer to utilize the built-in Mail app for your email needs, you will be happy to hear that Microsoft has rolled out quite a bit of improvements, including better email organization features.
With the updated Mail app, you can now write new messages without having to leave your inbox. This is quite a convenient feature, allowing you to quickly reply to an email without having to change screens. You have the added option to open a message, draft, or attachment in a separate window. You can also create automatic replies if you are planning to be away for a while.
Calendar and People apps also receive some much needed love, offering the ability to personalize your "What's Next" view in Calendar as well as the ability to find contacts quicker in the People app. "Mail, Calendar, and People are powerful tools for keeping up-to-date on your email, managing your schedule, and staying in touch with people. Designed for both work and home, these apps help you communicate quickly and focus on what’s important across all your accounts," Microsoft explains.
Here is a complete breakdown of the new features, starting with the Mail app:
- See all messages from your favorite people in one place.
- See a more organized Outlook.com inbox with social updates and newsletters filed away automatically.
- Use Sweep to clean up your Outlook.com inbox.
- Delete, flag, and mark messages from the message list.
- Drag and drop messages into folders.
- Select multiple messages at once with checkboxes.
- Write new messages without leaving your inbox.
- Open a message, draft, or attachment in a separate window.
- Search across all mail in all folders.
- Create automatic replies for when you’re away.
- Choose the default font and color for new messages.
- Get info about any sender by tapping on their name.
What’s new in Calendar:
- Check your agenda, and personalize the What’s Next view with your own background picture.
- Add events quickly by typing directly into Week view.
- Jump to a different date with the new date picker.
- Edit your responses to invitations before sending them.
What’s new in People:
- Search and browse for contacts more quickly.
- View, edit, and link contacts more easily.
- Add a custom picture for a contact.
Hit the download link below to snag the app!