Microsoft announces a partnership with Insteon, gets into home automation businessWritten by Moin Anjum on May 15, 2014 - 09:14AM @MoinWinBeta
Insteon is a technology based company that has been in business for over 20 years. Insteon's expertise is in home automation, providing technology that enables light switches, lights, thermostats, motion sensors, and other devices to inter-operate through power lines, radio frequency communications, or both.
Today, Microsoft has announced a partnership with Insteon. They're bringing an enhanced version of its Insteon app with exclusive features and it will be available for Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices as of June 1st. New features to this app release that are exclusive to the Windows platform are:
- Visitor Mode – provides restricted access to children or guests in your home
- Live Tiles – get status on multiple devices directly on your Windows 8.1 Start screen (not currently available on Windows Phone 8)
- Enhanced Camera Support – view multiple cameras at once, view full-screen, and camera support without the need of an Insteon Hub
- Multi-House Support – enables you to control multiple homes or businesses from a single account
- Dashboard View – a quick and organized view of the status of your home
“The Windows 8.1 platform provided INSTEON with an unparalleled opportunity to develop a beautiful and easy-to-use connected home experience. The Live Tile architecture is especially well-suited for home automation,” said Joe Dada, CEO, INSTEON. “Users are going to love controlling their INSTEON-connected home from their Windows devices.”
Marking Microsoft's retail entry into the connected home market, Insteon home products will also be available for purchase on MicrosoftStore.com and most Microsoft Stores across the U.S.
“Windows PCs, tablets and phones are supported by a rich app ecosystem that offers a variety of quality apps that take advantage of the platform's unique features and design such as Live Tiles,” said Todd Brix, general manager, Windows Apps and Store, Microsoft Corp. “The unique camera and control features in the INSTEON app really come to life on both Windows and Windows Phone.”
Microsoft is planning on offering a range of Insteon products that will include three kits, a Starter Kit, Home Kit and Business Kit. Standalone devices will include the INSTEON Leak Sensor, Open/Close Sensor, LED Bulb, On/Off Module and Wireless Wi-Fi Camera. Prices will range from $29.99 to $79.99, with kits starting at $199.