Now hiring for news writers: help us become better at bringing the news to youWritten by Ron on April 29, 2014 - 03:54PM @ronwinbeta
The technology news business is a 24/7 operation. Here at WinBeta, we strive to bring you the best and latest of what Microsoft has to offer, but sometimes we miss a thing or two. This is how you can help out! We are looking to bring in one writer into the fold, do you have what it takes?
The job isn't easy and it isn't for the faint of heart. Our mission is simple - bring our readers the very best of Microsoft, before anyone else. We've done a good job so far, but there is always room for improvement. We've come from an Alexa traffic rank of 200K to 20K and we are growing by the day. We are looking for a writer based in Europe or Asia (however, those in North or South America will be considered as well, but priority will be given to those in Europe or Asia). Here are our requirements:
- You must be able to accept criticism from staff and members. No writer is perfect and mistakes can/will happen. Your ability to accept criticism is very important.
- Be able to write a minimum of 5 news stories a week. The more you write, the faster you will promote.
- All posts are required to be Microsoft-centric, originally written, and not copy/pasted.
- We have friends who write about Microsoft too. You must respect them and give credit where its due. Proper sourcing will be enforced.
- We will be very strict on proper grammar and English. We don't expect you to be perfect, but we do expect you to know how to write. We will provide you with proper training on news writing guidelines, so don't worry :)
Our writers are a team and we collaborate as such. Writers who show dedication are rewarded and are also compensated. Don't expect to replace your day job but you can definitely earn a decent amount of money (which comes from advertising revenue). You will also have the opportunity to attend special tech events, such as BUILD and more. This is a great stepping stone and method of exposure if you are interested in the world of journalism. There are also other perks, you will just have to wait and see :)
If you are interested in contributing to WinBeta as a writer, hit the contact tab at the top of the site and email us. In the email, introduce yourself, tell us why you are interested in the position, and why we should select you. The email must have three paragraphs touching on those three topics. Emails that do not follow this requirement will be automatically disqualified. Being able to follow directions is quite important :)
If you don't have the time nor the interest in writing for us, don't worry! There are plenty of other ways you can help contribute to this site and to the community. Help jumpstart a conversation by posting a comment, share our posts to various social media outlets such as Twitter, Facebook, and Reddit, and send us news tip! These are all great ways to help out and we will definitely love you for it!
Now back to the news...