Read the story behind the famous Bliss wallpaper in Windows XP

When you see the above image, you immediately think of Windows XP. This iconic and famous wallpaper made its debut with Windows XP back in 2001. As Windows XP nears its end of support, the folks over at CNET have written a nice piece on the origins of the Bliss wallpaper – a photograph that is highly recognized worldwide. Did you know it was the by-product of a love story? Head over to CNET to read the story.

24 Responses

1. Joshua says:

This is a nice story that is behind the Windows XP Photography

2. Sargon says:

Huh, I always thought it was made entirely in Photoshop. I guess I was wrong.

• Abster says:

That it’s natural makes it even more impressive, don’t you think? I’d love to go there but as another photo in the source article shows, the place unfortunately looks nothing the the original photo now.

• El Pollo Loco says:

If you look at the mountains in the right part, it makes it makes the whole photo look more real than before. I always thought it was a digitally created photo.

• Abster says:

It seems all MS did was crop and also highlight the green grass a bit. Nothing else was touched. Just goes to show how used to Photoshop we’ve become and so we look at even beautiful natural photographs with cynicism. The cynicism is justified with celeb photos though, almost none of which are ever untouched and most are so tweaked that they bear no resemblance to the original subject at all. Same with most singers’ voices tweaked electronically using Auto-Tune and so on. Manufactured “talents” resulting in manufactured media fed to sheep for mass consumption.

• Aaditya Menon says:

you are……

3. Abster says:

Nice story. I wonder what the record amount paid for the photo was.

4. El Pollo Loco says:

I have the bliss photo set as my lock screen photo in Windows 8 and looks really nice.

5. Yannick says:

Wouldn’t it be awesome if the Bing image of the day on 8 April was Bliss? :p

6. Mayanktaker says:

I don;t like how Xp is ending. It was the best OS. I use greater version just because of some file manager improvements and security enhancements. Otherwise XP is awesome and fast enough. What about mobile version of XP?

• Aaditya Menon says:

Windows mobile 6.0……….already dead……

• Patrick says:

IMO, XP was great at its time, but it is definitely beaten by its successors. XP only wins on low-spec machines. Even then, XP tends to crash more often (send report – dont send), and ugly (non-3d rendered desktop, and of course, unsafe (no UAC). In fact, using XP is like having sex without protection

• Mayanktaker says:

Why are you comparing with its weak points where its not directly weak points. XP wins on low specs because on that time, high end pcs were not present.