Steam usage data for September 2013 shows Windows 8 at 15.8%, Windows 7 at 64.24%By Ron on Tuesday, Oct 1st, 2013 at 08:46PM
Earlier today, NetApplications released its stats for the month of September 2013 showcasing Windows 8's 8.02% operating system market share. However, there is also another method to see how well Windows 8 is doing. According to data from Valve's Steam Hardware & Software Survey for the month of September 2013, Windows 8's usage has climbed to 15.8%. This factors in both 32bit and 64bit of Windows 8.
For those that don't know, this data is collected by Valve's Steam game client and measures hardware and software stats on a monthly basis. According to the latest data, Windows 8 64bit has seen a .99% increase in usage, bringing it up to 15.00% for the month of September. Windows 8 32bit accounts for .79%. The total usage brings Windows 8 at 15.8%
Windows 7 64bit, on the other hand, accounts for 51.41% in usage while Windows 7 32bit accounts for 12.83% usage, for a total of 64.24%. Windows 8 has seen the most change in usage between the operating systems, which pretty much means more gamers are choosing Windows 8 for their gaming needs.
We are just 16 days away until the general availability of Windows 8.1. For those that are just joining us, Windows 8.1 is a free update to Windows 8 and will be made available on October 17th. We also expect Windows 8's market share and Steam usage share to increase significantly for this month, but we will have to wait until the 1st of November for the data to be released.
Thanks for the tip, Steveo!