Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 receive big firmware update during Dec 2013 Patch Tuesday Written by Ron on December 10, 2013 - 08:55AM
Not only do we get treated to some security fixes today, but Surface owners also get treated to a firmware update addressing bugs and performance issues. Today, Microsoft has rolled out a big firmware update for the Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2, along with the Surface RT. The first-gen Surface Pro simply received a WiFi driver update.
The Surface 2 received an update today addressing various issues - with one of those being a screen dimming issue that occurs while playing games. We broke this story to you at the end of last month. For example, when playing a game for a little while, the Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 will begin to get hot and the display will dim as a result of the heat. This issue is now resolved.
Here is the change log for the Surface 2 Dec 2013 firmware update:
- Screen dimming during CPU intensive operations resolved.
- Decreased charge time for batteries.
- Two-finger trackpad use optimized.
- Update to support additional external displays.
- Skype video quality improved.
- Resolved delay during restart when Bluetooth devices are connected.
The Surface Pro 2, on the other hand, also received a big firmware update today. This firmware update improves the system's stability, features an updated WiFi driver, improved Surface Cover interaction, optimized two-finger trackpad, and more. All these issues were resolved based on consumer feedback. Here is the full change log:
- Improved system stability, including when minimizing full screen games.
- Updated Wi-Fi driver for improved wireless display and connectivity with wireless access points.
- Improved Surface Cover interaction including power-saving sleep functionality.
- Color fidelity improvements for all applications.
- Optimized two-finger trackpad use.
- Enhanced audio experience when connected to a Display Port 1.2 device.
Microsoft also rolled out an update to the original Surface RT, now known as the Surface. This small firmware update simply fixes the Home Button driver to optimize available system memory, along with an audio driver update for the Type Cover 2 to enhance trackpad sounds.
The original Surface Pro did not receive any major firmware updates this month, but if you are running Windows 8.1 on the Surface Pro, you will have a WiFi driver update (v14.69.24047.156) for improved wireless experience.
Head over to Windows Update to snag your firmware update. Let us know if you encounter any new issues!