Turn Off The Lights app dims the background when you're watching videos Written by Hammad Saleem on January 01, 2014 - 09:28AM
Video sharing websites are filled with so many annoyances that it becomes difficult sometimes to focus on the video that's being played. If you're facing a similar scenario, we recommend you to give 'Turn off The Lights' for Windows 8/8.1 a try. It lets you focus more on the video, and not other elements surrounding the video, such as advertisements, related videos, comments etc.
"This app dims everything in the background, so you can enjoy the video you’re watching without any distractions. Turn Off the Lights is an easy-to-use, free app that runs on desktops, laptops and tablets," the app description reads.
Turn Off The Lights is not a new utility, but it's fairly popular and is available as an extension on all major browsers, including Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, Safari and Internet Explorer. If you're a Windows 8/8.1 user, you can get hold of the dedicated application from the Windows Store. Once installed, it acts as a browser that gives users the ability to open any video sharing websites. All you need to do is select the video you want to play and click on the 'bulb' icon in the top right corner of the screen to dim the lights, allowing users to focus more on the video.
The tool works with almost all the video sharing websites, including YouTube, DailyMotion, Vimeo, Vevo and many more. We tested it on YouTube and DailyMotion, and it worked like a charm. In addition, users can also customize the background color as well as the opacity, depending on their needs. Here's a complete list of features on board in Turn Off The Lights for Windows:
- Automatically dim the background when you click the play button and versus
- Show you the atmosphere lighting effect of the current playing video
- Customizable background color
- Customizable background opacity
- Fade effects for lights on/off
- Automatic repeat the YouTube video with one click
- Automatic bring the YouTube video in the large mode with one click
- Stop automatic playing of the YouTube video
- Play automatic all YouTube videos in HD
- Show the stars background
- Share buttons
- Freeze this screen
- Show the tabs bar
- Show the bookmarks bar
- Change the color of the navigation bar
- Custom home page URL
- Rotate the YouTube video player for 90 degrees
- Pin the website to your start page
Hit the download link below to install the application on your PC. Also share with us your precious thoughts about this nifty utility using the comments below.