Unofficial Google Maps app 'gMaps' for Windows Phone 8 gets a huge updateWritten by Ron on April 16, 2014 - 04:34PM @ronwinbeta
We all know how Google feels about the Windows Phone platform (remember the YouTube app fiasco?). Not to worry, there are plenty of third-party Google apps available on the Windows Phone platform, with various degrees of quality. One app that is quite fantastic is the unofficial Google Maps app called gMaps.
gMaps is a free app for Windows Phone 8 and it is one heck of a quality app, offering users the complete Google Maps experience and just a bit more. The app was just updated to version 3.0 and brought along quite a bit of new features, including a revamped design, routes with multiple waypoints support, app performance and battery improvements, the added ability to view directions through 3rd party apps like Waze and Nokia Drive, as well as stability improvements to the app.
If you are new to the app, here is a quick rundown of all the features:
- Find your location on the map and track current speed
- Layers support (street, satellite, traffic, bike, weather, etc)
- Search for venues using powerful local search
- Discover (advanced categorized customizable local search)
- Directions (car, bicycle, public transit or walk)
- Routes, alternative routes and restrictions, multiple waypoints, integration with 3rd party apps
- Ultimate Street View (360-degree, panoramic, ability to move)
- My Places (favorites, pinned, recent)
- Driver mode (rotation, directions, auto-reroute)
- Compass support
- Imperial/Metric units autodetect and switch
- Share map or place by sms, email, etc
- Route to contact
- Night mode
If you absolutely desire Google Maps on your Windows Phone device, then this app is for you. Hit the download link below to snag the updated app. Enjoy!