Think of a text, audio and video chat tool for Windows 8, and it's probably Skype that springs to mind. But there are plenty of alternatives, and the latest contender is Viber, an app that is already very well known on mobile platforms including Windows Phone.
The Windows 8 version of Viber has just been released and it brings with it support for live tiles and lock screen notifications. For anyone who is already using the chat tool on another platform, activity is synced between devices and it is even possible to transfer calls between them.
Viber is a modern app, and it can be snapped to the side of the screen so you can use other apps at the same time -- something that will often come in handy when the tool is used for business-related chats.
The app is free and does not feature any advertisements. Here's a breakdown of the features from the App Store listing:
- Text with your friends
- Make free calls with HD sound quality
- Create groups with up to 40 participants
- Send stickers and emoticons, making messaging fun!
- Share photos, receive videos, and attach locations
- Live Tiles
- Lock screen notifications
- Pin Viber and/or specific conversations directly to the Start screen
- Snap Viber to the side of your screen and work, play or browse the web with Snap View
- Search for Viber contacts using the Search charm
- Share content on Viber and on Facebook using the Share charm
- Toast notifications guarantee that you never miss a message or call
So -- could this be the chat tool to sway you away from Skype?