What to expect from the upcoming Surface Pro tablet and how it compares to the Surface RT Written by Ron on January 09, 2013, 03:15PM
Microsoft revealed the pricing for the upcoming Surface Pro tablet, powered by Windows 8. While the Surface RT is powered by Windows RT, the Surface Pro is the higher end Surface with Windows 8 and can run desktop applications (x86 and x64). The Surface Pro is set for release later this month and will come in two flavors, a 64GB model for $899 and a 128GB model for $999.
The Surface Pro has a 10.6 inch display, with a 1920x1080 screen resolution. The Surface Pro is also .53in thick and weighs just about 2 pounds. The device runs on a third generation Intel Core i5 processor, powered by Windows 8 Pro. The Surface Pro also comes with integrated HD Graphics 400 and 4GB of RAM.
Here are some key facts to note about the upcoming Surface Pro tablet:
- The Surface Pro is slightly thicker (0.53in/1.35cm vs 0.37in/0.94cm) and heavier (2lb/0.9kg vs 1.5lb/0.68kg) compared to the Surface RT
- It features an Intel Core i5 processor
- Has a higher resolution (1920x1080) compared to the Surface RT's 1366x768 resolution
- The Surface Pro has 10-point multitouch support, while the Surface RT only has 5-point multitouch support
- Has a higher-capacity battery (42Wh) compared to the Surface RT (31.5Wh)
- The Surface Pro comes with a pen, which can be attached to the side of the device in the magnetic connector
- The pen has a button to activate the right-click function in Windows 8, as well as an eraser at the top to delete content within apps.
- The magnetic connector itself is stronger than it was on the Surface RT
- Heat is ejected from a slot that surrounds the entire tablet for better device cooling
- MicroSD slot has been moved to the side of the device for easier access
- The Surface Pro supports USB 3.0 and comes with one port, unlike the Surface RT which does not have USB 3.0 support
- The Surface Pro does not come with Office 2013 Home and Student but can run any full fledged x86 or x64 software
- Comes in two flavors: 64GB model for $899 and 128GB model for $999
Microsoft is expected to release the Surface Pro in the coming weeks, so stay tuned as we keep you updated on anything new that comes out regarding the Surface Pro tablet.