If you're not a fan of Internet Explorer in Windows Phone, there are plenty of alternatives to choose from. The likes of UC Browser and Maxthon tend to be the ones grabbing the headlines, and this makes it easy to forget that there are others to choose from. But another browser that has gained a steady following is Surfy, and it has just received a huge update that's great news for existing users, and a great reason for newcomers to check it out.
This is an update that focuses not only on features, but also on performance. If you’re the sort of person who likes to keep their browsing history private, the new option to automatically start the app in private browsing mode will be welcome. You've no doubt found that some sites you visit have a great mobile version, while others are rubbish. In Surfy 3.0 you can configure individual tabs to use desktop mode as you see fit.
There have also been changes to history, there's a new shake to refresh option and sharing features have been improved.
Here's the full changelog for version 184.108.40.206:
- Searchable history. Easy to browse history using date groups.
- Shake to refresh
- Ability to enable private browsing at start-up.
- Panoramic Surfy hub.
- Favicons featured in tabs, favourites, and history.
- AppBar enhancements.
- Set desktop mode for individual tabs.
- More share options include: Email SMS, Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn
- Performance improvements and decreased memory usage.
- Text to Speech control now free in paid version.
If you don’t mind parting with $1.49, you gain access to a text-to-speech feature as well as improved data optimization. The paid version also increases the number of tabs that can be open at the same time from three to six.
Hit the download link below to grab yourself the app and try it out for yourself.