Xbox One SmartGlass Public Beta apps now available for Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8Written by Ron on April 01, 2014 - 06:23PM @ronwinbeta
Earlier today, Microsoft revealed that new changes were coming to the Xbox One SmartGlass app for both Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8. Now, the download links to both apps are available, so you can get your hands on the public beta and provide feedback!
"This is a Public Beta of Xbox One SmartGlass that provides an early peek at new capabilities. Use the feedback button in the app to let us know what you think.," the app descriptions state. Here are the key features of the Public Beta:
- OneGuide support built into SmartGlass
- View what’s on TV without interrupting what you’re doing on your Xbox One
- Change TV channels on your Xbox One through OneGuide on SmartGlass
- Find and favorite TV Channels
- TV Universal Remote Control to control your Cable Box and TV
For those that did not know, Xbox One SmartGlass is the perfect companion app for your Xbox One, for both in your living room and on the go. You can connect and control your Xbox One, stay connected with the games and gamers you like, and add a new dimension to your console entertainment with the mobile device you already own.
With the Public Beta of the apps, you can browse OneGuide on your device, tune into a show from OneGuide on your device, get rich details on your favorite shows, and favorite a TV channel and see it show up in the Favorites on your device. The SmartGlass app also allows you to use the cable/TV remote to navigate through your cable box interface, change your HD/SD settings in the app, and navigate to recent channels with the ability to change to a specific channel with just one tap.
The apps currently have known issues, which include the following:
- A few buttons in the Cable/TV remote may not work.
- Some strings are out-of-date or missing.
- In International countries, there may be issues with the OneGuide and unlocalized strings
Grab the apps below and be sure to provide Microsoft with feedback!
Thanks for the tip, Chase!