Google owned Waze will likely see no more updates on Windows Phone

Waze may have gotten its last update for Windows Phone. A customer had asked the company on Twitter if the development had stopped, and the company responded with: “There are no plans for an update as of now but things can always change.”

If you look at the Windows Phone App store, a lack of features and updates seems to be a popular complaint. And it does not seem like it will be solved. This is unfortunate, as with Microsoft updating Windows Phone with features such as Cortana, there was potential for a deeper integration. And if the devs do not update the app, it is inevitable that it will be obsolete soon. In today’s world, not updating a service with many powerful competitors is a death sentence, and in this case also an abandonment of a platform.

Waze is a very popular navigation app, with user input for tips as a major differentiating point. The app was bought by Google last summer. Google’s history with support for services on Windows Phone is pretty bleak and dropping Waze updates is not helping their reputation with Windows Phone users.

Do you use Waze? If so, taking this news into account, will you continue using it?

89 Responses

1. Sargon says:

I personally don’t use it, but obviously people who did use it should start looking for alternatives. Google ruins everything it buys. I fear to see how twitch will look once google is done butchering it.

• StarEy3 says:

Twitch has diplomatic immunity right now, its whole community is planning to boycott it if Google buys Twitch and does anything to it

• amnesia says:

Sadly, the community won’t do anything. They will whine for a week and then forget what they were whining about.

• StarEy3 says:

Not at all, most of the people in Twitch are Google haters (or just don’t like Google+), otherwise they would be using the YouTube livestream feature

• amnesia says:

G+ is dead, it won’t be integrated into Twitch like it was integrated into YT.

• dingl_ says:

Not exactly dead, it just didn’t turn out how they wanted- a full on popular social network with its own global siphon for information.
            They could still introduce Merge Twitch with your Google account, which in turn is a Google+ account blah de blah
            or
            In order to comment or use Chat you must merge your Twitch account with your Google account to better streamline your experience blah de blah ;P

• StarEy3 says:

At least Microsoft doesn’t force you to do that, in fact, you can still “un-link” your Microsoft account from Skype, Xbox, Azure, VS Online, etc…

• Sargon says:

You can “Unlink” you Skype, but you can’t sign in with Skype on WP anymore. It must be connected to MS account.

• StarEy3 says:

I can log-in with a Skype account on WP just fine, are you sure you aren’t doing anything wrong?

• Sargon says:

I’m quite sure I Know what I’m doing. You’re probably misinterpreting. How can you sign-in using a Skype account, if they REMOVED THE OPTION? Here’s an official post from the forums, so you wouldn’t think I photoshopped my screenshots: http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-Phone/Skype-for-Windows-Phone-Sign-In-Process-Changes/td-p/2946341
            There used to be an option to sign in with either Skype or Microsoft account. Now you are forced to have your Skype account linked to your MS account in order to use it on WP.
            So Yeah I’m pretty sure I know what I’m doing and I’m pretty sure Skype’s Community Manager knows what he’s writing.

• StarEy3 says:

That was a change from February this year… Makes sense, I only need to log-in to Skype every time I factory reset my phone or get a new one, so that’s why I didn’t know, thanks!

And BTW, you can still log-in using your Skype account in Desktop Skype, I’m not sure about Windows 8 though

• elvinb says:

The windows store app is tied to ur Microsoft account that u use to log into windows 8 so it automatically logs in using Microsoft account as well.

• StarEy3 says:

You can log-off and sign-in using a different Microsoft account

• elvinb says:

but Microsoft account is not the same as a Skype account which is what you’re asking isn’t it? unless you mean a Skype account that is already linked to an Microsoft account and not an original Skype account then ya it’s entirely feasible.

• StarEy3 says:

And you can still log-in with an Skype account by itself, don’t take my word for it, just try it

• elvinb says:

then why ask the question in the first place if u already know the answer? >:( I am referring to the windows 8 Skype metro application.

Yeah, still works, on pure Windows 8 that is

• elvinb says:

so u can log in to window 8 with your Skype account? that’s good, it is for RT too.

• Sargon says:

Yeah I know, I don’t mind having it linked, but it can be pretty annoying, especially if you have multiple Skype accounts. They should either bring back the option to sign in with JUST Skype account or let us link multiple Skype accounts to a single Microsoft Account, kind of like we can have ∞ YouTube accounts tied to a single google account.

This “We know what’s best for you” mentality never does anything, but annoy people.

• StarEy3 says:

“We know what’s best for you” is the same as saying “We have no idea what you like, so we will just assume this will work”

• amnesia says:

You’re right, that could still happen (and probably will). MS should have bought Twitch, it would be a perfect match for Xbox. The person responsible for screwing up the deal should be fired.

• StarEy3 says:

They tried, however, the owners of Twitch thought that a merger with YT would be a better idea, bastards! http://www.geekwire.com/2014/microsofts-xbox-shot-potential-twitch-buyer-matters/

• amnesia says:

Yeah I saw that. MS should have offered more. Everyone has a breaking point when it comes to money.

• Men's Rights Groningen says:

I do have a few friends who use Google+ but except for 2 (both Viet) they are literally forced to use it (through Google YouTube), everyone already has a Google+ account, they just don’t know it yet. ;-) (Scroogle’s strategy)

• Men's Rights Groningen says:

Maybe, unless a viable alternative turns up, but then again WhatsApp-Messenger had the same when they were bought by the Facebook, everyone on Google Android said ”we’ll go to Telegram now”, so they went, stayed for a week, and came back to WhatsApp-Messenger, Viber, Microsoft (see: Skype), and others had a chance here, but the consumers went for a ”rising” platform while there were already established players, I’m afraid that the same will happen to Google Twitch… I guess that some consumers really suffer from… *drum rolls* amnesia.

• amnesia says:

MS should have offered more money. Now Google has a complete monopoly on video/streaming.

• StarEy3 says:

Let’s go bother Microsoft to see if we can get them to launch a YouTube competitor, I’m tired of YouTube owning 95% of the internet videos

• amnesia says:

Twitch was the only chance for MS to become relevant in the video/streaming space and they fucked it up. They can’t just make a YT competitor over night. It would take years and billions of dollars to make a competitor. People won’t move to another service just because it’s new. And without users, you are nothing.

• Sargon says:

There’s no way to compete with YouTube now. It’s too large. Vimeo, Dailymotion, metacafe all failed. Microsoft would fail too.

The only way to compete with YouTube is to be completely different from YouTube. You won’t win by imitating it. The only thing that has any chance of competing with YouTube now is patreon I think.

• James Bell says:

Exactly. Vine and Netflix are successful streaming services because they have different ideas than YouTube. Nobody could hope to beat YouTube at what it does, but it would be possible to make something better than YouTube.

• Men's Rights Groningen says:

Not YouTube though, YouTube… ñeh, I hate the fact that they turn comments invisible, but that aside they’ve pretty much improved it…

2. PowerTc1 says:

Who cares about Waze.

3. dingl_ says:

I’m shocked
    I really try not to use any service or software Google touches- the story above explains my decision. and so I get by on alternatives some better some not. it works out in the end ;)

• StarEy3 says:

Anything is better than Google services, YouTube is the exception, but it doesn’t matter, YouTube is an independent company, but is under the Google umbrella, much like Bungee and Parature are part of Microsoft, but as subsidiaries

• dingl_ says:

I only use YT to watch videos- and I block every ad ;P hosting I host elsewhere.
        Dailymotion, Vid.me
        whatever I can find

• StarEy3 says:

Vimeo is the only one that stands a chance against YT, but you pay them in order to get storage for videos, while in YouTube you have “unlimited” storage for videos and depending on your video’s views (If you have a partnership) You get paid some $$, of course YT takes 45% of it

• Men's Rights Groningen says:

This is because Google can afford it, (though their servers lag every time I get a commercial, and I automatically ”click” on them if I wish to skip them… ’cause Scroogle), I would almost go as far as call it ”unfair competition”, big corporations will always have an advantage over smaller corporations, this is why no O.E.M. (except for Microsoft Mobile Oy and Samsung) makes their own O.S. they simply can’t afford it, Vimeo simply can’t afford it, this is also why Dropbox ”only” offers 2 G.B. while Apple offers 5 G.B. Microsoft & Google offer 15 G.B. Mega (the successor to MegaUpload with the same team and people and core-software) offers 50 G.B. Xinlang offers 2 T.B. Tencent offers 10 T.B. and Baidu offers 20 T.B. the ones with the most servers simply wins, Vimeo is like Dropbox here, they have a limitation and needs support from other companies (in Dropbox’ case Yahoo!), and Vimeo simply can’t afford it as Google does, Google has billions of Google Android phones, 5.000.000.000 video’s, and trillions of mails in their (Cloud-)Servers, meanwhile Vimeo is dependent on paid storage, there is a reason why Google is King, and honestly I don’t see this changing in the near future…

• Patrick says:

Wow, thank you I didn’t realize Mega offers 50 GB…. downloading Mega now…

• StarEy3 says:

Anything can happen, remember when Windows became #1 in an era were Macs were the only way to go? (80s)

• delta007 says:

Bungie is actually independent now. Youtube is pretty integrated at Google (the whole google plus, etc.). Its OK to use Youtube, but don’t think that you’re not using Google.

• StarEy3 says:

YouTube is a company of its own, but Google controls most of its operations, much like Microsoft has control over Yammer, look it up is called a “subsidiary company”

• Men's Rights Groningen says:

Google YouTube is not an independent company, and Bungee has spun off, 343 Studios is the successor that remained a part of Microsoft, and Google YouTube does anything for the Google vision, it comes built-into Google Android, Google Android T.V. (formerly Google T.V.) and integrates well with other Google services as well as vice versa (see Google+ integration, or the fact that you can’t send private messages via Google YouTube as it now automatically goes to that user’s Google Mail, which is why I can’t talk with my best-friend online anymore other than Outlook dotto com* because he doesn’t want Google Mail, in fact he hates it, and it now REQUIRES registration with Google Mail in order to use the Google YouTube messaging service), Google isn’t like pre-late-Ballmer-era-Microsoft, Google doesn’t consist of ”island companies” every corporation it merges with it integrates in its portfolio, the talent become a nominal part of the core Google services, this is why for example they did sell Motorola’s hardware division to Lenovo, but kept the software division and brought it under the Google Android umbrella.

* = putting links in your comments gets them banned…

This is one of thew few things I’d say Google does better than Microsoft, that’s integrating purchased companies, for example look at the Microsoft Skype Division/Skype Technologies S.A. (incl. GroupMe), they all act and function as separate companies ”WITHIN” Microsoft, there are even tonnes of reporters who claim that GroupMe on Windows Phone by Microsoft is a ”last resort option” because they can’t get the developers to make an app for Windows Phone, they don’t properly do their research, they just assume so because GroupMe looks and acts extremely different from Microsoft, on their websites you see only Macs and iPhones, or a more recent example you can look at Nokia/Microsoft Mobile Oy, they (Microsoft) has done nothing (yet) with the Nokia Lumia software, despite the publisher of their software being Microsoft Mobile Oy, you can’t get it on a Samsung, Huawei, H.T.C. or ”new O.E.M.’;s” phone, in fact it’s something that would make them more competitive, but Microsoft chooses to keep it exclusive, which is ironic because Nadella claimed that he put all concentration on Windows Phone because he believes that phones under Microsoft are essentially different than under Nokia in vision, Nokia and most O.E.M.’s use software to sell hardware, Microsoft ”makes hardware to sell software”, and releasing their software on other phones would be the most logical step, even H.T.C. did this on Google Android.

I don’t want to admit ANY form of superiority of Google compared to Microsoft (because in 99.99% they’re simply not), but this is something they do better than Microsoft…

• StarEy3 says:

YouTube is a subsidiary of Google, the owner of YouTube is the only one of the original YT staff that still remains, just because he accepted G+ against his own will, if you don’t know what a subsidiary is, look it up

4. StarEy3 says:

See? Google is evil, for the only reason that there are Google services on Windows is because is the only viable option, if Chrome OS was good then there wouldn’t be Google services on Windows anymore

5. David Pflanz says:

I don’t see any reason for missing waze, as long as there are plenty of other (and maybe even better) navigation apps for WP out there, e.g. here maps/drive or bing maps.

6. Konrad Uroda-Darłak says:

Google wtf?…

7. cr_buck says:

Google’s decision to treat any user of theirs who uses anything from Microsoft is the reason personally and professionally I have been distancing myself from Google. No more Google apps for me because staff can’t use the Outlook they refuse to give up. Google keeps getting less compatible each day. Weird thing is on the opposite side, my Office 365 uses can use Safari and Chrome without issues. In a way I can’t believe I’m saying this because I used to love Google.

• Men's Rights Groningen says:

There once was a time when being a Microsoft-Fanboy and a Google-fanboy went hand-in-hand, but now Google makes it harder and harder, honestly I don’t even want to support Scroogle anymore, Google YouTube and Google+ are literally the only services of them I still use, honestly I hate the company now, compare it to Microsoft who A) has way more Cloud-services, B) has better services, and C) has many awesome exclusives on Windows Phone, Google on the other hand limits their services to a few platforms, they would rather support Macs than Windows 8.X (which has twice or more the market-share), Microsoft on the other-hand even supports Amazon’s Fire Phone, you can be a Microsoft-Fanboy and/or girl on ANY platform, they don’t even care about their own popular services if they can’t make ad revenue out of them, look at iScroogle…

• Patrick says:

why do you even use G+?

• cr_buck says:

Probably because almost any time you use a Google service, like even commenting on YouTube, they force you to Goofle+. It’s called an automatic upgrade. Mine did that.

• cr_buck says:

You know thr bad thing is I am forced to use Google products to be knowledgeable for support purposes. Its frustrating because I want to like them but their policies just keep getting more hostile to people. Its a shame because engineering wise, they do some great things. Well at least there are very competitive alternatives now.

8. Roi Katz says:

That’s a shame!

9. Zetrosoft says:

And that’s why I love Microsoft . MSFT develops apps for even the non popular platforms .

10. onlysublime says:

I’ve dropped nearly all Google products. I used to love Chrome until Google threw their muscle around. Now Chrome is a reflection of that, barely supporting the features of Windows 8/8.1. The touch and scaling features are poor (although getting better). It’s Firefox and IE for me.

They tried to force everyone on Youtube to sign up for Google+. I couldn’t even reply to comments on my own channel until I signed up for Google+!!! Google has long since abandoned their “don’t be evil” catch phrase. It goes to show that absolute power corrupts absolutely. The only reason they give any support to Apple is because of how great their market share is. I bet once iOS drops below 20%, Google will drop them too.

• Patrick says:

Is Firefox better than Chrome in implementing W8 features? All I know is Firefox is not available on Metro, while Chrome is

• onlysublime says:

Chrome doesn’t have a true Metro mode. They only offered that option to get into the Windows Store and to push ChromeOS apps. It still doesn’t use any Windows 8/8.1 conventions or features. It still doesn’t offer proper support for high DPI displays or touch.

Mozilla is true agnostic. They don’t care who is who. They try to implement any feature any vendor has. They do support high DPI displays and many of the Windows 8 features even though they abandoned their Metro browser. They don’t try to push proprietary features onto vendors. They still have poor touch support but Mozilla doesn’t have the resources as Google.

• Patrick says:

Neither does IE. Nobody has true Metro mode browser, nobody. This is why there can be only one Metro browser, because Metro browsers ‘cheat’, technically.
          Have you ever used Chrome lately? I just did, the version 38, and it renders in full resolution, instead of the previous version which completely ignored the scaling. The latest version looks as good as any other browser, even though the touch gesture is a little bit broken, at best.
          Yes, Firefox does render everything in native resolution. But that’s about it. Theres nothing, literally nothing, supported in Firefox from W8. Touch gesture is broken, it is broken, completely broken, a simple pinch-to-zoom doesn’t even exist (well, technically it exists because it works as 10%-increment zooming, akin to Ctrl+, but I don’t call it a touch gesture). Flick scrolling? Slower than the cheapest Android phone you can find on eBay.
          Make no mistake, I use neither Chrome nor Firefox as my primary browser, I use IE. However, we have to agree that Chrome is friendlier to W8 compared to Firefox. Neither of them is friendly though, sadly

11. Lauren Glenn says:

I tried using this on my recent road trip and I had to stop. Basically, the main reason was the CPU usage. It kept draining so much power from my phone that I had a 2.1A charger attached to it and the phone still ran out of power. I couldn’t keep using it so I moved down to Here+ Drive and it let the battery charge (while having a better interface and performance). Still, if I can’t get in the top 5% after driving 2,000 miles over a weekend, then I never will. And the fact that I have to keep driving to keep my status makes me wonder what’s the point. The only reasons to keep this are (1) it lets you see where cops are and (2) I get instant traffic updates. The CPU usage is just bad even on my Nokia 1520…. and it’s not just a WP issue either.

12. John Hughes says:

I use Here. Offline maps and low battery consumption. Why would I use Waze to kill the battery of my phone?

• Driver says:

Get a decent car charger. You’ll like the benefits of live updates provided by other drivers…. such as police ahead, car on shoulder, road hazard…etc.

13. TrentSki says:

Never heard of it before, definitely adding it to the blacklist to prevent my location being tracked for data gathering purposes

14. Eko Alpha says:

It’s not Google’s doing. It’s us, the consumers who gave Google this power. Their mantra “don’t do evil” is a joke after all.

• elvinb says:

how did we give them the power to buy out some small business or decide on not providing updates?> the only ones who have any say in this matter is company’s board of directors and the party being bought out

• Eko Alpha says:

Yes, the company’s board of directors who are supposed to believe not to be evil. Go figures.

• whatsa2 says:

If you continue to use google services then you fund the behaviour. If Google starts to lose revenue they will look at other options to generate it. simple.
        I have removed google as my default for all platforms.
        Give you revenue to Bing or someone else. Theres 1.5billion PC users out there so killing a large chunk of googles’ revenue is possible.

• elvinb says:

unfortunately it is not that simple; since android users have default google services on their devices it is impossible to curb their behaviour mpt to use google. Dumping the Play Store leave you with literally nothing to get your apps from which equal a dead smartphone.

• whatsa2 says:

yes i dont mean it for everyone …. but a simple 10% of search would hurt their bottom line and pc and wp could easily achieve that. Google doesnt do anything for the win marketplace anymore so why support them? right now they take the money you generate for them andpiss on you as a form of thanks.

• Francisco Gallardo says:

was watching and well i do not use google anymore also, how come in the United States that the monopoly law be useless by an web based services like google, also the problem is that we use google and they have the enough power to do whatever wants to us and we can not say anything because is like in an small county have the only store and the boundaries of the county are fenced can not get out or get choices so the store have the enough power to abuse of you the business of google is not android itself is the services linked with android and the extremelly high marketshare of them

15. G-Man says:

I used it religiously for a month. Dropped it after getting into a long conversation with one of the ‘moderators’ about route decisions. Seems the moderators in Texas decided that all FM roads are primary streets (40mph) and not minor highways (55mph). This throws off all routing outside of any major city as the routes chosen by the system will route you through neighborhoods before routing you along the true shortest and fastest route. I’ve used several other route planning software and this by far was the worse in route planning. I did like some of the crowd based features like police traps and roads being updated in weeks and not a year later (users can add new roads through their editor). In the past I’ve compared Google Maps to Bing Maps and asked locals which was the better route and they always chose the Bing route.

16. guest says:

Yes, and I’ll continue using waze because the maps are updated and if not I can report the problem and it will be fixed!